Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I now interrupt storytime for breaking news...

Sorry... I wanted to finish background material before talking in real time, but this was too good to forego...

I just had the most awkward conversation with my dad today. Now, if you don't understand my parents yet, you should now that love/sex/romance topics have always been taboo (unless it's about how bad all of the above are) my whole life. And usually, my phone conversations with my dad are so awkward (I'm not a phone person and we're not a family that's big on sharing life details) that I usually only talk with him for 1-2 minutes, max. Today, we had a 5-6 minute conversation. Whoa. And it was light-hearted... He gave me a lecture, but it wasn't one that made me feel bad, just one that made me try to understand... I think my dad's getting better at approaching me :)

My dad's part of the conversation (I pretty much just assented or went off talking about unimportant topics that I won't bore you with) went like this: Oh, so you're trying to call me more often? Are you really changing your mind about talking to your dad? [this is good for him... too often he's passive aggressive about things and blows up on me at random times and it just makes me not want to talk to him...] Have you changed your mind about Sunday mornings? Will you still be doing homework instead of going to church? I really think you should reconsider that. Your mom and I went through so much trouble to make sure you were raised in a good environment. You can't forget it now that you're an adult. We didn't send you off to babysitters because they could abuse you. We didn't let you go off with stupid boys that would mess up your life. There's a lot of openings for people to abuse you and we made sure that never happened. You do everything in your life to make sure you live a good life--good grades, good social life--everything except God. He will give you a lot of peace, and you need that. Don't forget it. You need to live a good life. It's a treasure in this world. Especially for girls, it's a treasure. And I'm sorry, but that's the way society has set it up, but it's really important for girls to have that treasure. You need to give your husband a treasure, not a messed up life.

And that was pretty much it... OMG MY DAD JUST GAVE ME A TALK ABOUT GIVING MY TREASURE TO MY HUSBAND! I never thought I'd have such an awkward conversation with my dad. I almost burst out laughing when he started talking about it... Wow.

My dad's getting cuter by the minute. How can I hurt such a cute dad by telling him about my boyfriend? I don't like this situation. My dad's just starting to connect with me for the first time in years (we've had a rocky relationship for a while) and now I feel like I'm fucking it all up. Gah. I feel like I have to choose between one or the other. I want to have both my family and my boyfriend. Is that so hard?

4 comments:

  1. Hi

    I don't know how a comment would appear amidst the kind of posts you have chronicled, yet let me say it how I felt reading all the five snippets you've here.

    Honesty rings here in every syllable and both in writing and in life, a lot of power emanates out of that.

    Thanks.

    Nanda
    http://ramblingnanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really hoping that you would continue blogging. Your posts really resonated with me, and I hope that eventually you were able to tell your parents about your relationship. Hopefully, you can update this blog one day since it's been almost 4 years.

    Sincerely,
    Another Brown Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am talking to a guy he is white American lives in housten Texas and I live in UK we just started talking and my parents Gujarati and 3 brothers . I'm not sure if they would accept but mind you my second brother married a white girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RichMatchMaking is the best and largest online personals site dedicated to men and women seeking a Millionaire Match Online and Online Dating experience.

    ReplyDelete